Today, I have not a lot of substance and a bunch of fluff. In this case the fluff is photos. This is because I didn’t actually do a whole lot today… except take photos.
So here they are.
The completed “Two for his Nibs/ Two for his Heels” socks (still undecided on that), completed at 11pm yesterday night. I really love how they turned out, even if they did make me want to claw my eyes out by the end (remind me not to knit size 12 socks ever again, please). I’ll be working on writing up the pattern this week, and then I’ll have a couple of test knitters run through… Hopefully this’ll be published by March at the latest.
The socks are currently with my sister, who is generously doing the photography for the pattern for me and then mailing them off to my Great-Uncle. I made him a thank-you card to go with the socks.
Simple, but I thought it came out rather nice.
Today I decided I needed a kitchen scale… not only for measuring food items (as I have many British vegetarian and baking cookbooks which use grams instead of cups), but for measuring fiber. Things like weighing out two equal halves of a skein of sock yarn, to be sure I don’t run out of yarn before finishing the second sock. Or, in this case, finding out how much yarn is left over after completing a pair of size 12 men’s socks from a skein of Malabrigo Sock.
26 out of 100 grams. Not bad at all. I could have probably done another 3 inches on each leg and been fine.
The scale also measures in ounces. I’m glad of that, as normally I purchase spinning fiber in ounce increments. This also led to an interesting discovery. You remember how I said I had drafted 1 and 1/3 ounces of that teal wool, but it looked like so much? Well, this was because when Janelle bought the wool, I assumed that each ball was 1 ounce. They weren’t big enough to be 2 ounce balls, and I thought it reasonable to assume that they would be weighed in full ounces. Well, today I thought I might as well check…. and each ball is 1.5 ounces. I don’t know why, but it certainly explains why there seems like so much… and why my bobbin is so full when I still have 3 little fiber “nests” of the first 1/3 left.
Sorry for the flash. By the time I spun that much, it was dark out.
I made lasagna for dinner tonight. I was planning on taking a photo, but things went awry when Cory got a phone call about 2/3 of the way through cooking the lasagna that some friends had moved from Brainerd to St Paul yesterday, completely unexpectedly, and would like us to come out with them for dinner. We ended up eating some lasagna as soon as it came out of the oven, throwing the rest in the fridge, and running out the door to go to the Bulldog in St Paul to meet for some beer. It was a nice time and we’re really excited that they’re in our neck of the woods now. (Also, their apartment is 10 times nicer than ours. Yes, I am a little jealous. 12 foot ceilings and built-in bookshelves, man!)
At the bar I got 3 more rows done on Wisteria. I didn’t get a photo of it because, frankly, it looks just the same as it did before. I’ll post more on that once I’ve started the raglan increases, which hopefully will be tomorrow.
In violin news, since Janelle asked if I had played any since it arrived, I’m working on Vivaldi’s “Summer”. It’s going alright, though I’m definitely rusty. I can play the whole thing through…. just at about 1/4 of the speed it needs to be at. I’m sure with a few more weeks of practice it’ll improve. I love the piece, so it’s fun to work on, and I am really enjoying the volume control I have with the amplifier.